Extra Space Without Adding On
Meet the little building that can! Meet the Flexa Studio: a modern, versatile, 120 square-foot prefabricated room. It’s a way to add space without the expense and disruption of remodeling. Award-winning designer Casper Mork-Ulnes, who holds a Master of Architecture degree from Columbia University and is creative director of Modern Cabana (now part of Blu Homes), developed Flexa Studio in collaboration with Houseplans.com.
The simple shed-roof and crisp horizontal rain-screen siding — with glass entry door and fixed and operable side windows — give the structure a handsome contemporary presence to complement any garden setting. Place it in the backyard or side yard,
to use as a home office, media room, or teen pad:
or add a sleeper and turn it into an overflow guest room.
The 10- by 12-foot structure comes pre-assembled or as a panelized kit-of-parts that you put together yourself. In both cases you build the foundation, then bolt the Flexa Studio to it. It’s eco-friendly thanks to the use of FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council)-certified lumber, recycled denim insulation, prefabricated elements for minimal waste, and a small footprint for less site impact. In most jurisdictions, permits are not required for structures that are 120 square feet or less — check with your building department to verify local permitting requirements. Flexa Studio starts at $8950 plus shipping, which varies based on distance and whether you order it pre-assembled or as the panelized kit.
I want to thank Room & Board and R & B Design Associate Joe Darling for expertly furnishing our model to illustrate the Live, Work, and Play possibilities. The warm contemporary pieces in the photographs are listed below:
1. Gallery leaning media shelf in natural steel: $749
2. Eames molded plywood lounge chair in walnut by Herman Miller: $679
3. Fuller 7′ x 7′ felted rug in grey: $1715
This is a cool fool-the-eye rug: the design resembles a shadow pattern on the floor and made me look around to see where the light was coming from.
4. Tiffany arm chair in red: $249
5. Portica desk in stainless steel with solid walnut top (48 x 24 x 29h): $959
6. Pierce 69″ two-cushion full comfort sleeper in Delamont charcoal: $2299
7. Outdoor Sunbrella pillow in orange: $59
8. Hive pillow in Ink: $109
9. Sasha table lamps with silver shades: $229 each
10. Link table lamp in orange: $380
11. Nelson medium cigar pendant lamp: $329
12. Framed print, Study for Homage To the Square – 1954, Albers: $419
13. Framed poster, Rothko Blue, Green and Brown poster: $199
14. Laguna outdoor chair (and ottoman, not shown) in Sunbrella taupe: $599 (2)
15. Montego outdoor side table (18 inches square): $449
The Flexa Studio Photography is by Joe Fletcher, who shot the unit at San Francisco’s Flora Grubb Gardens (which provided the plants and pots). The Flexa Studio is a cousin of our Flexahouse modern ranch house plan by architect Nick Noyes — someday I hope we’ll have a whole family of Flexas!
More About Casper Mork-Ulnes
In addition to founding Modern Cabana with builder Nick Damner (last year they showcased other Modern Cabana products at Sunset‘s Celebration Weekend where I first spoke to them about working with us), Casper has produced a variety of sleek contemporary houses and remodels through Mork-Ulnes Architects. Here, for example, he
reshaped a San Francisco Victorian into a dramatic light-box-cum-stair-tower.
On the top floor he reinvented a dormer window into an elegant sitting, viewing, and storage alcove (photos courtesy Inhabitat.com). These are great ideas worth remembering as you think about ways to customize any of our home plans.